These amazing gifts of the earth have transformed our lives, but for many people essential oils seem scary and complicated. My hope is to make these natural remedies approachable and fun.
Together, we’ll learn how to use essential oils as our first line of defense for minor health issues, make our home healthy, and to manage our emotions.
What are essential oils?
They are natural compounds derived from plants, and have been used throughout history as a way to naturally care for and support overall health.
The Egyptians were some of the first people to use aromatic essential oils extensively in medical practice, beauty treatment, food preparation, and in religious ceremony. You may have heard of Frankincense and Myrrh through the references to these oils in the bible. Did you know that these oils are still used today and are two very awesome and powerful essential oils?
- are made from natural volatile aromatic compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants.
- provide plants with protection against environmental threats and play a role in plant pollination. When essential oils are made from parts of the plant, they take on the regenerating, protective and immune-strengthening properties of plants.
- are powerful antioxidants and many varieties have antibacterial, antifungal, anti-infectious, antimicrobial, antitumor, antiparasitic, antiviral and antiseptic properties.
- are both small in molecular size and are also lipid soluble, allowing many of them to easily and quickly penetrate the skin.
- have been proven to also possess medicinal and therapeutic values and are growing in popularity among those of us who are looking for a more natural and organic way to manage our health, clean our homes, and care for our families.
- have been used by many cultures throughout history for food preparation, beauty treatment, and health-care practices and continue to be a staple in many households today.
Purity and Quality
Are all essential oils created equal? No, they are not! That’s why there is such a wide range of pricing for essential oils. You can find all types (or grades) of essential oils sold online and in retail establishments, but you’ll want to educate yourself on quality standards before using just any oil.
These volatile liquids are either distilled or cold pressed (citrus mainly) from various parts of the plant. Some manufacturers use fillers, synthetics or include weeds and other plant material in their oil production to get more volume to provide oil at a lower cost. The oil industry isn’t yet regulated and just because the label says “Pure” or “Organic” doesn’t mean that it really is.
Producing pure oils can be very costly, because it requires several hundred (or thousand) pounds of plant material to extract one pound of pure essential oil.