During those rainy days or cold mornings, are you looking for ways to entertain your kiddos with some kid-friendly activities? Making homemade essential oil aromadough is a great way to introduce your children to essential oils and have them experience the benefits of essential oils in a fun and approachable way. Kids use all of their senses when playing, so why not provide a way to get the therapeutic benefits of essential oil while they play? Don’t have essential oils, no problem! Purchase pure essential oils here!
There are several recipes for homemade essential oil aromadough (or others call it play dough) circulating on the internet and we found this one works well when incorporating essential oils. You can use any brand of essential oil, but we have chosen to use Doterra essential oils, because we know the oil is pure, doesn’t contain synthetics, and offers therapeutic benefits in addition to smelling great.
Recipe for Homemade Essential Oil Aromadough (Essential Oil Playdough)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Few drops of food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.5 ml) essential oils of your choice click here to purchase essential oils for your homemade essential oil aromadough.
Mix together flour, salt, cream of target, oil and water in a medium sauce pan. Stir in food coloring and cook on medium-low heat until the dough begins to form a ball.
Let cool on parchment paper or wax paper. I like to let it cool for at least an hour to make sure any residual water evaporates. Make sure to store your Aromadough in airtight containers and include a label with the oil name and oils emotional benefit for quick reference. We like to use inexpensive plastic containers or ziplock bags. This dough will last a few weeks in a cool space and will remain soft and pliable. If you store the dough for longer, please check to make sure it has begun to mold prior to allowing little hands to play with the dough.
Colors and Flavors
Ask your child to smell the essential oil and choose the color he or she thinks matches it for your Aroma Playdough. Below are essential oil suggestions and therapeutic benefits for each:
- Dark Green – Green Mandarin – Uplifts the mood and soothing for the nervous system. This aroma seems to cover the smell of the ingredients well. We think Green Mandarin Essential Oil smells like Pez candy.
- Purple – Lavender – Comfort & Calming
- Green – Lime – Mood Lifter & Refreshing
- Pink – Grapefruit – Energize, Mental Clarity & Memory
- Orange – Wild Orange – Focus
- Blue Peppermint – Energy
- Yellow Lemon – Clarity
If you liked this post, check out the bug repellent spray that my daughter and I made together.
Want to learn more about essential oils? Meet me over on my Facebook Fan Page or on Pinterest!